Phillies Press Release
Phillies Sound of Philadelphia Celebration & Concert Returns on June 22
Black Music Month event to honor, feature music icons The Trammps & The Jones Girls
The Phillies and Philadelphia International Records (PIR) are teaming up to host the 9th annual The Sound of Philadelphia Celebration & Pre-Game Concert on Friday, June 22, at Citizens Bank Park, prior to the 7:05 p.m. game against the Tampa Bay Rays. Held in honor of the 41st anniversary of Philadelphia International Records and Black Music Month, the evening pays tribute to the music of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff.
5:00 p.m. - FREE PREGAME CONCERT (no game ticket needed), Citizens Bank Way. Hosted by Patty Jackson of WDAS 105.3 FM and Arthur Fennell of the Comcast Network. Performers include:
- The Trammps: This legendary Philadelphia-based American disco and soul band is back in town to represent the Sound of Philadelphia! Formed in 1972 by Ronnie Baker, Norman Harris and Earl Young, the Trammps first recording "Zing went the Strings of My Heart" was released on Buddah Records. They later moved to Philadelphia International Records and released "Where Do We Go From Here" and "Stop and Think." After signing with Atlantic Records, the Trammps released several albums which included singles "That's Where the Happy People Go" and "Disco Inferno," which received a Grammy for its inclusion in the soundtrack of "Saturday Night Fever." Baker, Harris and Young were also the rhythm section for Gamble and Huff. Today the group continues to tour the world.
- The Jones Girls: For over a half decade between 1979 and 1984, Shirley, Valorie and Brenda Jones created some of the most glorious soul music around. "Discovered" by Kenny Gamble while serving as Diana Ross's backing group during a mid-70's tour, The Jones Girls' amazing career with PIR includes "You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else," which stormed the pop, soul and dance charts. Other hits include songs from the albums "At Peace with Woman" and "Get As Much Love As You Can," which featured a number of now classic cuts including the club favorite "Nights Over Egypt," sassy "I Just Love the Man" and a timeless cover of the Stylistics' "Children of the Night."
- "Amazin Grace" Little: A dynamic singer who generates energy and excitement wherever she performs, Amazin Grace will take to the stage on CB Way in honor of the Sound of Philadelphia Celebration. This powerful artist has an amazing history, having performed all over the world as a teenager in famous plays such as "The Wiz," "Dream Girls" (playing Effie, a role that was initially performed by Jennifer Holiday) and "Oh Calcutta."
- Wyldlyfe: This Philadelphia collective of individual artists (Ty Ward, Chess, C. Poole) are among the great performers scheduled for the free pre-game concert. Fans will enjoy the group's many musical styles, which range from hip-hop and pop, to rock and R&B. Wyldlyfe has played a range of venues including The Apollo Theatre in Harlem, World Cafe Live, and the Theater of the Living Arts, and opened for artists including Grammy winner Lupe Fiasco, DJ Girl Talk "The New Age Mashup King," Hidden Beach recording artists Kindred The Family Soul, 5x Grammy nominee Jazmine Sullivan, and Miami rapper Trina.
6:30 p.m. - ON-FIELD PRESENTATIONS & PERFORMANCES:
- Music pioneers and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame legends Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff will present the 2012 Phillies Gamble & Huff Community Partnership Award to: The Trammps and The Jones Girls. Past award recipients include Chubby Checker, Jerry Butler, Dee Dee Sharp, Kevin Eubanks, Billy Paul, the Delfonics, Soul Survivors, Teddy Pendergrass, Jerry Blavat, Boyz II Men, Patti LaBelle and D.J. "Jazzy Jeff" Townes.
- On-field performances will celebrate the music of Gamble & Huff. Among the artists performing include honorees The Trammps and The Jones Girls. The National Anthem will be sung by Bunny Sigler, the pop and R&B singer/songwriter and record producer who was instrumental in creating the "The Sound of Philadelphia" in the 1970's.
For a full line-up, please visit www.phillies.com/themenights.