Phillies Press Release
Phillies give local students extra credit for outstanding work
Throughout Teacher Appreciation month this May, area schools to receive Phillies visits for reading & fitness achievements
Students who have shown excellence in literacy and physical fitness from seven area schools will receive some extra credit and admiration this month. The Phillies will conduct a special assembly through the team's Be a Phanatic About Reading program presented by Comcast and the interactive Phillies Phitness program presented by NovaCare Rehabilitation.
Overall, 100,000 students take part in the above programs, but only top participants receive a Phillies visit. Since the Be a Phanatic About Reading and Phillies Phitness initiatives began, over 250 schools and recreation centers in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware have received visits.
PHILLIES MAY SCHOOL VISITS
Monday, May 12 - 10:30 a.m. (Be A Phanatic About Reading); Mary C. Howse School - 641 W. Boot Road, West Chester, PA 19380
Thursday, May 15th -
- 10:00 a.m. (Phillies Phitness); Main Street Elementary School - Mr. Shuster's 4th Grade Class, 704 Main St, Upland, PA 19015
- 1:15 p.m. (Be A Phanatic About Reading); St. Matthew School - 3040 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19149
Monday, May 19 - 10:30 a.m. (Be A Phanatic About Reading); St. Jerome School - 3031 Stamford Street, Philadelphia, PA 19136
Thursday, May 22nd - 10:00 a.m. (Phillies Phitness); Central Early Childhood Center - Ms. Kolodzey's Kindergartners and 1st Graders (2 sessions), 1447 Delsea Drive, Deptford, NJ 08096
Wednesday, May 28th -
- 10:00 a.m. (Phillies Phitness); Pennell Elementary School - Mr. Clark's 5th Graders, 3300 Richard Road, Aston, PA 19014
- 2:00 p.m. (Be A Phanatic About Reading); Dr. Albert M. Bean School - 70 East Third Avenue, Pine Hill, NJ 08021
ABOUT Phillies Be A Phanatic About Reading Visits:
The Phillies will honor the top performing classrooms in their Be a Phanatic About Reading Program, presented by Comcast, with a special assembly celebrating the school's reading achievements.
- The Phillie Phanatic will act out scenes from The Phillie Phanatic's Phantastic Journey, featured in the Phanatic Children's Book Series or from the poem, Casey at the Bat.
- Launched in 2004, Be a Phanatic About Reading was created to encourage children in kindergarten through 8th grade to improve their literacy skills by reading for a minimum of 15 minutes a day. Registrations for the program are still being accepted.
- On May 30 at Citizens Bank Park, children 14 and younger attending that night's game against the Mets will receive a copy of the Phanatic's new book courtesy of Comcast. Two collections will be held that evening: A new and gently used children's book collection to benefit PHILADELPHIA READS and an instrument collection (orchestra instruments such as oboes, clarinets, flutes, trumpets, French horns, cellos and violins) to benefit Musicopia. For more information on how to purchase discounted tickets for that night's game, visit www.phillies.com/reading.
ABOUT Phillies Phitness Visits:
From getting in shape to staying healthy, students will join their school's physical education teacher, Phillies front office staff and NovaCare Rehabilitation Trainers for a unique interactive program designed to put the "phun" into fitness.
- Students take part in various activities including relay races, jumping rope, and ladder drills, all participants will receive a Phillies Phitness wristband, magnet, and water bottle.
- Area students taking part in this interactive fitness program are learning about steps they can take now to help ensure a healthy future.
- Children from kindergarten through high school learn about the importance of being active through both exercise and activities that they take part in everyday as well as the importance of making smart food choices. Registrations are still being accepted for the remainder of the school year and will begin to accept registrations for the summer program shortly.
- On Wednesday, August 27 join the Phillies for Phillies Phitness night at the ballpark presented by NovaCare Rehabilitation. There will be fitness activities on the concourse and when you purchase though the Phillies Phitness offer you will receive a $6 ticket discount off tickets in the Pavilion Deck (301-305; 306-310) and the Terrace Deck (412-429; 430-434). Tickets can be purchased by calling Phillies Group Sales at 215-463-5000 or at www.phillies.com/themenights.