08/05/2010 11:34 AM ET
Phillies Alumni Weekend festivities begin Friday
Legends return to Citizens Bank Park for fan events
Phillies legends are returning to Citizens Bank Park on Friday, August 6, for Phillies Alumni Weekend. Fans attending the Phillies-Mets series are encouraged to arrive early for the many pre-game festivities. Highlights include:
TOYOTA WALL OF FAME NIGHT, FRIDAY, AUGUST 6
6:00 p.m. Phillies Alumni Pre-Game Tent Party, featuring former shortstop Kevin Stocker from the 1993 NL Champion Phillies and Ricky Jordan, former Phillies first baseman (1988 to 1996).
Onfield, Pre-game - Wall of Fame Induction Ceremonies for Darren Daulton. The evening honors three-time National League All-Star catcher Darren Daulton, who will be inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame during a special pre-game ceremony.
- All fans will receive a commemorative print of Daulton, courtesy of Toyota.
- Wall of Famers return to honor their fellow Phillie including: Senator Jim Bunning (1984 inductee), Hall of Famers Steve Carlton (1989) and Mike Schmidt (1990), Dick Allen (1994), Greg Luzinski (1998), Garry Maddox (2001), Tony Taylor (2002), Bob Boone (2005), and Dallas Green (2006). Daulton's 1993 teammates will also be present including Tommy Greene, Kevin Stocker, Ricky Jordan, Dave Hollins, Jim Eisenreich and John Kruk.
- A 14"x20" cast bronze plaque of Daulton will be added to the Wall of Fame display located in the Memory Lane section of Ashburn Alley.
TOYOTA ALUMNI NIGHT, SATURDAY, AUGUST 7
4:00 p.m. Stephen Starr-Garry Maddox Barbecue Challenge. Held on Citizens Bank Way, the always-popular Barbecue Challenge is free and open to the public (no game ticket needed).
- Restaurant teams and pit master teams will compete for the region's best barbecue. Celebrity judges include broadcasters Tom McCarthy, Scott Franzke, Gary Matthews and Larry Andersen, plus former players Greg Luzinski, Terry Harmon, Bob Boone and Larry Christenson.
5:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Autograph signing with former Phillie Tony Taylor, Majestic Clubhouse Store.
6:30 p.m. Toyota Alumni Night Pre-Game Ceremonies. More than 45 former Phillies - representing seven decades - will be introduced on the field, including 94-year-old Freddy Schmidt, who pitched for the Phillies 63 years ago. He's the fourth oldest living Phillies Alumnus. Other highlights include:
- Presentation of the John Vukovich Award to Mike Compton, field coordinator for the Phillies minor league system. Bonnie Vukovich will present the award named after her late husband.
- Moment of Silence for those members of the Phillies baseball family who have passed on in the last year: INF Buddy Blattner (1949), C Del Bates (1970), RHP Humberto Robinson (1959-60), RHP Barry Lersch (1969-73), RHP Brian Powell (2004), 1B Howie Schultz (1947-48), RHP Tommy Reis (1938), OF Stan Benjamin (1939-42), INF Bill Burich (1942; 1946), Traveling Secretary Eddie Ferenz (1969-2001), INF Bobby Bragan (1940-42), OF Ken Walters (1960-61), Hall of Fame RHP Robin Roberts (1948-61), Coach Maje McDonnell (1948-57).
ALUMNI BATTING CHALLENGE, SUNDAY, AUGUST 8
12:15 p.m.-1:00 p.m. Phillies Alumni Pre-Game Tent Party featuring former catcher Mike Lieberthal.
12:30 p.m. Alumni Batting Challenge. Fans are invited to watch some of their favorite former Phillies take to the field and compete in a batting challenge. Among those taking part: Kevin Stocker and Ricky Bottalico, Jim Eisenreich and Mitch Williams, Darren Daulton and Dickie Noles.