© 2013 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

7/19/2013 8:40 P.M. ET

Halladay, Howard making progress with rehab

NEW YORK -- The Phillies came out of the All-Star break with several players on the disabled list, and head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan spent Friday briefing the media on their respective conditions.

Sheridan said that first baseman Ryan Howard, who recently underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, is recovering well. Howard spent the break at Citizens Bank Park working with the team's training staff, and Sheridan said that the team is thrilled with his early range of motion.

Howard will have a follow-up examination with team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti on Tuesday, and they'll begin to plot a path through strengthening exercises and working back to health.

Sheridan also addressed ace Roy Halladay, sidelined since early May with a case of right shoulder inflammation. Halladay threw a flat-ground session on Friday and everything appears to be in working order, but the Phillies want to be careful before they push him back to the mound.

"We're really just judging him day to day right now. I know a lot of people want to know when he's going to be on the mound," said Sheridan. "He's long tossed out to 120 [feet]. The flat-ground session went well today. His exercises are good. We're just kind of seeing how he goes from there. I think we just want to be smart about when we make that progression to the mound."

The news isn't as good for two injured relievers. Jeremy Horst, sidelined since mid-June with a right elbow injury, will need a platelet-rich plasma injection and could be out for the rest of the season. Mike Adams, who has already undergone a PRP injection, might need season-ending surgery.

Adams, who tried to avoid surgery for his right shoulder condition, has not been able to progress. He saw Ciccotti on Thursday and will go for a second opinion before deciding his course of action. Horst, meanwhile, will likely be out for at least six weeks while recovering from his ailment.

Sheridan said that Horst saw noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion on his damaged elbow, and Andrews proposed the same treatment the Phillies had recommended.

"Dr. Andrews reviewed our studies and did some of his own while he was there, and he agreed that it was a flexor pronator issue," said Sheridan. "He felt like a PRP injection would be the next-best course of action for him. Unfortunately, that means he's going to be shut down for another four weeks at least. Maybe up until six weeks before he returns to throwing."

Phils trying to find a way to get by without Revere

NEW YORK -- Losing Ben Revere has really put the Phillies in a bind.

Revere, who broke a bone in his right foot right before the All-Star break, had been one of Philadelphia's hottest hitters in both June and July, and as the team's leadoff hitter and best defender in center field, he's also been one of the team's most difficult players to replace.

Philadelphia had five outfielders on the roster when the second half of the season commenced on Friday, and manager Charlie Manuel said they may not realign until the end of the weekend. Until then, the Phillies have John Mayberry in center field and not much depth behind him.

Scott Proefrock, the team's assistant general manager, said Friday that the Phillies have enough players to get through the next few days. Reserve Laynce Nix can help off the bench, and Proefrock said that veteran infielders Kevin Frandsen and John McDonald can also play the outfield.

"Nix can play some center field if he has to," said Proefrock. "Frandsen can probably play some outfield. He's done it before. Johnny Mac can play all over the place. I think we're in pretty good shape. Everybody should be well rested. ... I think we're good to go."

Revere, acquired in the offseason from Minnesota, batted .354 in June and then .388 in his first 11 games in July before injuring himself on a foul ball. Revere saw foot and ankle specialist Dr. Steve Raikin over the All-Star break, and the Phillies were given a clear path to his recovery.

First, Revere will spend two weeks immobilized, and then he'll be reevaluated. If all is well at that point, he would be taken out of his splint and placed into a walking boot. And if everything keeps progressing, Revere would be able to begin weight-bearing exercises two weeks after that.

"Long term, we're still looking at six to eight weeks for his return to play," said head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan. "Again, returning to being able to play and returning to being able to play at this level are two different things. A lot of times, physicians talk about return to play being at six weeks. You've still got to remember [that] being able to face what's going on out here is a little bit different."

Nobody knows that better than the Phillies, who now have to find a way to get by without Revere. Jimmy Rollins has batted in the leadoff slot 38 times this season, and Manuel expects him to have a big second half. But even if he does, the Phillies have to replace Revere's production.

"Ben, for the last five weeks, had been doing a super job for us," said Manuel. "He's been one of the reasons why we've been winning some games and our offense has picked up."

Manuel deals with travel issues on way to New York

NEW YORK -- Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel is thrilled to be back in the dugout. But if the entire truth must be told, he's really happy that he's no longer on a plane or at the airport.

Manuel said Friday that he had to undergo quite an odyssey to rejoin his team after the All-Star break. His flight, originating in Orlando, Fla., was supposed to leave at 4:20 p.m. ET on Thursday afternoon, but due to various delays and travel vagaries, he didn't arrive in New York until after midnight.

"My break was fine until I flew in here," he said. "I got to the airport at 2 o'clock, and they changed it to 5:30. Then, they changed it to 7:40. Then we got on the plane and we sat there for over an hour. We finally left and then we landed here and sat [on the runway] for over an hour and 30 minutes.

"Then we finally got a gate and we taxied in. I went and tried to get a cab, and they were just getting off work and changing shifts at 11 o'clock. There were about 40 or 50 people standing on line and I'm last. I got to the hotel at about quarter after 12 last night and I was cussing every one of you guys and everybody on the team. Then I took a shower, laid down and woke up this morning at quarter to 9."

The Phillies went into the All-Star break with a .500 record, and they've been one of the best second-half teams in baseball over the last few years. Philadelphia has gone 269-198 after the break since 2007, the best mark in the Majors, but Manuel doesn't want to take anything for granted.

"My benchmark is win tonight," he said. "If you want to try to get somewhere, you'd have to win I'd say 90-92 games, but sometimes 85-90 wins can get you somewhere, too. We've got to win some games. We've got 66 games to go. We've got to win a high percentage of those games."

Spencer Fordin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.