5/20/2014 12:04 P.M. ET
Citizens Bank, Phillies & Sandberg Family launch 2014 Phans Feeding Families summer hunger relief program
Phillies fans urged to join effort to fight hunger in the Delaware Valley
By / MLB.com
Citizens Bank and the Philadelphia Phillies, in partnership with Phillies Manager Ryne Sandberg and his wife, Margaret, and Phillies sponsors, today announced the 2014 Phans Feeding Families program. As part of the program, the Citizens Bank Foundation presented a check for $40,000 to Philabundance, the region's largest hunger relief organization. Now in its fourth year, the initiative will raise money and collect food to feed the nearly 1 million people in the Delaware Valley that are at risk of hunger.
"Summer is a time of increased need because thousands of the more than 300,000 children who rely on school meal programs no longer have access to this much needed food," said Bill Clark, Philabundance President and Executive Director. "Hunger doesn't take a vacation, and Phans Feeding Families helps to meet this need at an important time of year."
To support Philabundance and the 2014 Phans Feeding Families campaign, fans can:
- Buy a limited-edition Phans Feeding Families pin. Pre-orders are now available for purchase online at philabundance.org/phanspins. Fans will also be able to purchase the pin starting mid-June at the Majestic Clubhouse Store and Phillies NewsStands at Citizens Bank Park. Each $5 pin provides 7 meals for families in need.
- Attend the first-ever Phans Feeding Families Day, when the Phillies take on the Mets at 3:05pm on Saturday, May 31st. With each ticket purchased at www.phillies.com/feedingfamilies, $8 is donated to Philabundance, putting 16 meals on the table for those in need.
- Text to Give. Fans can text "PhansFeed" during Phans Feeding Families day and make a $10.00 donation to the program.
- Bring a donation of non-perishable food to Citizens Bank Park or SEPTA's AT&T Station during Phans Feeding Families food drives on Saturday, May 31.
- Recommended items include plastic jars of peanut butter and jelly, canned tuna and pasta. Fans can also donate food at Citizens Bank Park during the ShopRite Partners in Caring Food Drive on Saturday, May 17 and the Goya Latino Family Celebration & Food Drive on Saturday, September 27.
- Bid on exclusive merchandise and VIP experiences - including a breakfast with the Phillie Phanatic and luncheon with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. - through a silent auction during Phans Feeding Families Day on Saturday, May 31.
- Make an online monetary donation to the campaign.
Complete program details are available at phillies.com/feedingfamilies. Fans may also help with the cause by following @Phillies on Twitter, using #PhansFeed.
To lead off the program, the Citizens Bank Foundation is donating $105,000 to organizations throughout eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware that provide hunger relief, nutrition assistance and improve access to food for families. Of this commitment, $40,000 will support Philabundance, the region's largest hunger relief organization and Phans Feeding Families beneficiary. The Citizens Bank Foundation grant will provide the first 80,000 meals to the 2014 Phans Feeding Families campaign.
"We are proud to once again partner with the Phillies to raise money and collect food for families in need throughout the Delaware Valley," said Daniel K. Fitzpatrick, President and CEO of Citizens Bank and RBS Citizens for Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. "Phans Feeding Families has been a tremendous success over the past few years, helping Philabundance and other local hunger relief programs to serve families during the summer months when there is an increased demand for emergency food. At Citizens Bank, we are dedicated to making a difference in the communities we serve."
"The fight against hunger, especially in young people, has long been a passion for me, my wife Margaret and our family. We urge fans to support the Phans Feeding Families initiative and help Philabundance provide meals to those in need across the Delaware Valley this summer," said Ryne Sandberg, Phillies Manager.
In addition to Citizens Bank, several Phillies sponsors and advertisers support hunger relief efforts and will participate in the 2014 campaign. They include: ARAMARK, Goya Foods, Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, Hatfield, SEPTA, ShopRite, Sunoco and Toyota.
"The Phillies are proud to once again support Phans Feeding Families and to assist in solving the challenges that Philabundance faces with the region's hunger problem," said Phillies President David Montgomery. "This would not be possible without the support of our corporate partners, our fans and the Halladay family. Together, we hope to make a difference."
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.