Wally Joyner - Hitting Coach #8
Begins his first season as the Tigers hitting coach after being named to the position on November 18, 2013.
• Served as the hitting coach for the Philadelphia Phillies for one season before joining the Tigers...worked as the lead hitting instructor for MLB International Elite-level development programs from 2009-12; coached players and instructors in Italy, Brazil and the Netherlands.
• Spent six seasons working in various capacities with the San Diego Padres including five seasons as the club's roving minor league instructor (2003-07), and parts of the 2007-2008 seasons as the team's hitting coach.
• Played 16 seasons at the major league level with the Angels (1986-91, 2001), Royals (1992-95), Padres (1996-99), and Braves (2000).
• Elected the starting first baseman for the 1986 American League All-Star team, and was co-winner of the Home Run Derby with Darryl Strawberry.
• Finished second in voting for the 1986 American League Rookie of the Year Award to Jose Canseco.
• A 1980 graduate of Redan High School (GA), where he was an all-county selection and four-year letterman in basketball...Also named the 1980 Georgia High School Player of the Year in baseball.
• Participated in the Tigers Winter Caravan.
• He and his wife Lesley reside in Mapleton, Utah during the offseason...the couple has four daughters: Jessica (10/16/83), McKenzie (3/3/85), Crosby (5/1/89) and Chase (1/23/91).