Facts and Information
Mike, who played for the Cubs in 1987, begins his first year as the organization's Major League assistant hitting coach ... brings with 16 years of coaching experience following a 14-year playing career.
- Played 14 seasons, including parts of eight campaigns at the Major League level with the Cubs (1987), Tigers (1989), Mariners (1990), Red Sox (1991- 92), Astros (1993, 1995) and Oakland (1994).
- Began his coaching career in 1997 as manager of the Independent League Rio Grande Valley club.
- Attended Oklahoma City Southeast High School from 1977-79, and graduated from Tulsa Union High School in 1980.
- Attended the University of Texas (Austin) in 1981-83 and 1996 ... studied Sport Management/Communications.
- Participated in the College World Series in 1981-83, National Champions in 1983, USA Baseball in 1982 and the 27th World Championships in Seoul, South Korea (bronze medal).
- His father, Mike, began a 12-year pro baseball career in 1957, playing in the Dodgers, Senators and Astros systems ... played three big league seasons with the Senators from 1964-66.
Managerial and Coaching Career
Mike enters his 17th year as a coach or manager, including his fifth as a big league first-base coach ... spent the previous four seasons (2010-13) as the Seattle Mariners first-base coach.
- Spent the 2009 campaign as the Los Angeles Dodgers Minor League field coordinator after he was the organization's assistant Minor League field coordinator and managed Rookie League Ogden in 2008.
- Was the Texas Rangers Minor League field coordinator for three seasons from 2005-07 ... prior to that, spent four years (2001-04) managing in the Angels system and led Triple-A Salt Lake to the Triple-A Championship Series in 2002 ... led Double-A Arkansas to the Texas League title in 2001.
- Spent 2000 as a roving Minor League instructor with the White Sox ... was manager for Single-A South Bend in 1999 after spending 1998 as manager in Tucson in the Arizona League.
Mike batted .206 with three homers and 38 RBI in 295 Major League games with the Cubs (1987), Tigers (1989), Mariners (1990), Red Sox (1991-92), Astros (1993, 1995) and Oakland (1994) ... the former infielder and switch- hitter was selected by the Boston Red Sox in the second round of the 1983 draft.
- Chicago acquired him with pitcher Dennis Eckersley from Boston for Bill Buckner on June 6, 1983.
- Played a career-high 63 games with the Red Sox in 1991 after signing with them as a free agent the previous offseason.
- Hit .353 and had a .419 on-base percentage in 93 games with Triple-A Tucson in 1993 ... appeared in eight games with Houston that season.
- All told, batted .271 with 57 home runs and 441 RBI in 1,135 career Minor League games ... stole 228 bases.